How do you prepare for Housing Selection?

The most important aspect of housing, personally, is how close I will be to my classes. Incoming freshmen do not get to choose where they will be living, so during my freshman year, I was lucky to have gotten into Alumni; I initially wanted to live in the Business Connections Learning Community so I would feel more comfortable around people with similar majors (not caring or knowing where the location actually was), and fortunately, the BCLC just so happened to be a part of Alumni, which was near most of the buildings that I had classes in. Alumni is also close to South, which is one of the better dining halls on campus.
For my sophomore year, I had more options. I was able to live elsewhere, but I decided to stay in the BCLC because I liked the people, the location, and the bathrooms so much. That may sound strange, but you should take into consideration all aspects of housing when you are deciding on where you want to live. You should consider the location (near/far from classes, friends, or dining halls), the lifestyle, the size of the rooms, the size of the bathrooms, the atmosphere (loud/quiet), etc. You should look at the UConn Residential Life page before anything else. Also, as a side note, as a sophomore, you should not expect to get into the housing you want, so have 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices ready; this is because juniors and seniors have more credits, and therefore, places fill up quickly. If you really want to get into the housing you want, I suggest you ask a junior or senior to pull you in since they get to choose first. ~ Vincci Ho